APRODEV works closely on the EU political dialogue and development cooperation priorities with Honduras where the human rights situation has deteriorated quickly following the coup d´etat on June 28, 2009.
The situation is especially alarming in Bajo Aguán region where big land owners operate with international develoment funding for palm oil and have been involved in dozens of killings of peasants who defend their right to land. APRODEV took part in the international fact finding mission to the region in 2011 which verifies severe and systematic human rights violations. The report can be found here.
In May 2012 the international networks organised a seminar and international hearing on the human rights situation in Bajo Aguán. In this webpage you can find a video with some of the sad testimonies of the victims given in this hearing.
APRODEV reports on Human Rights in Latin America:
APRODEV letters and statements on Honduras:
- International organizations welcome the World Bank Ombudsman´s initiative to scrutinize an investment project of the International Finance Corporation in Bajo Aguán. APRODEV, CIFCA, FIAN, LATIN AMERICA WG, VIA CAMPESINA, FIDH, PIDHDD, Rel-Uita, Trócaire, Oxfam, Misereor, Fespad, Carbon Market Watch, Food First, Schweiz Forum Honduras, FLM. March 2013. Reply from the International Finance Corporation
- The EU must take stronger action against human rights violations in Honduras. ALOP, APRODEV, CIDSE, CIFCA and FIAN. Letter to the EU. October 2012. Reply letter from the European External Action Service. October 2012.
- International organisations condemn the murder of a peasants´ human rights lawyer and defender from the lower aguán and of the special prosecutor for human rights. APRODEV, CDM Watch, CIFCA, FESPAD, FIAN, LAWG, OMCT-FIDH, PIDHDD, Rel-UITA, Sisters of Mercy and Vía Campesina. October 2012.
- International organisations condemn repression and criminalisation of peasant organisations of the Bajo Aguán, Honduras. APRODEV, CIDSE, CIFCA, FESPAD, FIAN, FIDH, HIC, LAWG, Misereor, OXFAM, PIDHDD, Rel-UITA, TROCAIRE and Vía Campesina. August 2012.
- International organisations point out: The State of Honduras must guarantee judicial independence and impartiality. APRODEV, CDM Watch, CIFCA, Fespad, FIAN, FIDH, LAWG, Misereor, Rel-UITA and Vía Campesina. July 2012.
- Declaration of the Public Hearing on the Human Rights Situation in the Peasant Communities of Bajo Aguán, Honduras. APRODEV, CIFCA, Fespad, FIAN, FIDH, HIC-AL, LAWG, Rel-UITA, Trocaire and Vía Campesina. May 2011.
- Honduras: Human Rights violations in Bajo Aguán. International fact finding mission report. APRODEV, CIFCA, FIAN, FIDH, Rel-UITA and Vía Campesina. July 2011.
- Honduras: European networks and international organizations seek response from the European Union in relation to the murder of five peasants in Lower Aguán. Letter to the EU. ALOP, APRODEV, CIDSE, CIFCA, FIAN and FIDH. November 2010.
- The European Union must respond to human rights situation in Honduras. Letter to the EU. ALOP, APRODEV, CIDSE, CIFCA, FIAN, Grupo SUR and OXFAM. October 2010; Response from the European Commission. October 2010; CSO reply to EC letter. APRODEV, CIFCA, FIAN, Grupo SUR and OXFAM. November 2010; Reply from the EC. November 2010.
- The position of the EU regarding the situation in Honduras one year after the coup. Letter to the EU (in Spanish). ALOP, APRODEV, CIFCA, FIAN, FIDH and Grupo SUR. June 2010.
- EU response to the crisis of democracy and human rights in Honduras. Report (in Spanish) from seminar in the European Parliament. February 2010.
- Response to EU position on election in Honduras. Letter to the EU. ALOP, APRODEV, CIFCA, FIAN, FIDH and Grupo SUR. January 2010.
- Response to EU declaration on the situation in Honduras after the elections. Letter to the EU. APRODEV, CIFCA, FIDH and Grupo SUR. December 2009.
- The EU should not recognise Honduran elections. Letter to the EU. APRODEV. November 2009.
- Human rights NGOs and European civil society networks call on the EU to take a strong position regarding human rights violations in Honduras. Letter to the EU. APRODEV, CIFCA, Friends of the Earth, FIDH, FIAN and Grupo SUR. September 2009.
- Recommendations to the EU regarding Honduras. Letter to the Swedish Presidency. APRODEV and CIFCA. August 2009.
- Statement on coup d´etat in Honduras. Recommendations to the EU. APRODEV. July 2009.
International reports, statements and press releases on human rights in Honduras
For regular updates (in Spanish) on the situation in Honduras, see for example Honduran sites voselsoberano.com or defensoresenlinea.com
- Violent response to indigenous mobilization in Guatemala. Press release of various Guatemalan and international networks. October 2012.
- Concern regarding the passage of the “law regulating the commutation of the death penalty” in the Congress of Guatemala. Letter to EU High Representative Baroness Ashton. APRODEV, CIFCA, Grupo SUR, OMCT and Plataforma Holandesa contra la Impunidad. October 2010. Ashton made a Declaration on this matter on behalf of the EU.
- Recommendations to the Council of the European Union regarding Guatemala. APRODEV, CIDSE, CIFCA, FIDH, Grupo SUR and Plataforma Holandesa contra la Impunidad. July 2009.
- Recommendations to the Swedish Presidency of the EU regarding Guatemala. APRODEV, CIDSE, CIFCA, FIDH, Grupo SUR and Plataforma Holandesa contra la Impunidad. September 2009.