EPA Briefing Paper 2012 - Still pushing the wrong deal for Africa? This briefing paper comes in response to the Europen Commission proposal to exclude those countries that have not ratified their EPA by 1 January 2014 from the EU's Market Access Regulation 1528/2007. Jointly published by Traidcraft, APRODEV, et al
EPAs in (times of) crisis : April 2010: EPAs and Trade Defence Measures: Comparing bilateral and multilateral trade defence provisions - APRODEV contribution to NGO Conference
EPA Expert Roundtables
- 2009: EPAs: Trade efficiency or development for all?
Roundtable organised by APRODEV, One World Action and the Commonwealth Secretariat, Brussels, 24 March 2009. Further reading: Concept note and presentations by Marzia Fontana: OWA Gender research in Mozambique, Jamaica, Tanzania; Tacko Ndiaye, UNIFEM: Women's Informal Cross Border Trading; Christina Weller: Framework for EPA monitoring; Tilder Kumichii, GEED/ACDIC: Women watching local food markets; Peter Lunenborg, South Centre: Benchmarking development in EPAs.
- 2008: EPA Stocktaking meeting - Urgency for a development contest
Roundtable organised by APRODEV, ECDPM and ODI, 17 April 2008, Brussels, aiming at critically assessing the development content of the interim and full EPAs. Further reading: Presentations by ODI: Comparative analysis of liberalisation schedules and other commitments in the African interim EPAs; ECDPM: Dynamics of EPA negotiations and possible ways forward.
- 2007: EPA Roundtable: Crossing development red lines?
Roundtable expert discussion looking at a technical analysis of implications of EC proposals for EPA provisions. Jointly organised by APRODEV, Christian Aid, ECDPM, Oxfam, 13 September 2007. (French version)
- 2006: EPA Gender Review
Seminar jointly organised by APRODEV, CSGR Warwick University, One World Action and WIDE and hosted by the European Commission in the framework of the DG Trade Civil Society Dialogue Meetings, December 2006, Brussels
A Pro-Development Benchmark Approach to EPAs
An attempt to go beyond the rhetoric that trade should promote development and makes proposals for the practical integration of development perspectives in the EPA negotiations:
- EPAs and Sustainable Development: Benchmarks for Pro-Development Monitoring of the Negotiations, by APRODEV and ICTSD, 2005
- Research paper: Benchmarking EPA negotiations between the EU and SADC, by tralac, South Africa, July 2007
- Research paper: Sustainable Development Benchmarks for an EU - Cariforum EPA, by University of the West Indies, Mona, Jamaica, June 2007
- Consulation meeting: Johannesburg, South Africa, 1 October 2007
- Consultation meeting: Kingston, Jamaica, 7 June 2007
- Equity in Trade negotiations : A gender review of the EPAs, March 2007
EPAs and gender